What is a Cabinet Cooler?
Supreme Air Products Cabinet Coolers
We offer two varieties of cabinet coolers: Nema 12 rated coolers, which are dust proof and ideal for indoor applications; as well as NEMA 4 rated coolers, which are splash proof and suitable for outdoor applications.
|NEMA 12 (IP52)||NEMA 4/4x (IP56)|
|Material||Stainless Steel (Type 303)||Stainless Steel (Type 303)|
|Rating||Indoor: Dust and Dirt||Outdoor: Splash|
|Capacity BTU/Hr||550 up to 5600||550 up to 5600|
How does a Cabinet Cooler work?
- The cooler mounts vertically on top of the cabinet through a standard knockout hole. A locking ring provided with the cooler locks it into place.
- A compressed air line hooks up to the cooler by threading a ¼ NPT fitting to the air inlet.
- As compressed air enters the cooler, the integrated vortex tube separates the air into hot and cold air streams.
- The hot stream from the vortex tube is exhausted into the atmosphere by passing through a muffler which ensures low noise levels.
- The cold air enters the electrical cabinet though an outlet tube located at the bottom of the cooler.
- As the cold stream enters the electrical cabinet, the hot air within the cabinet starts to rise and is gradually purged through the cooler.
We also offer an optional cold air distribution kit which connects to the cooler’s outlet tube and allows the user to direct the cold stream to specific hot spots within the cabinet. All Supreme Air Products electrical panel coolers are made from stainless steel, which ensures durability.
Supreme Air Products Cabinet Cooler Fully Explained
Our Cabinet coolers are offered in 3 Options listed below
Our Coolers provide a lot of benefits over traditional air conditioners or fan coolers. They include:
- Eliminating the use of dangerous freon gases and refrigerants
- Large cooling capacities ranging from 560 to 7200 BTU’s
- Quick installation
- No moving parts
- NEMA 4, 4X and 12 ratings
- No shock hazards
Need help sizing cabinet cooler capacity for your panel? PDF Sizing Chart. Please fill out the form and email us.
For more information or to talk to our application engineer, call us at 1-647-876-6358. We are standing by to answer your questions!
Use with these Brands of Panels
Cabinet Cooler Specifications
Supreme Air Products™ Cabinet Cooler must be vertically mounted on a flat surface for all enclosure types. An electrical cabinet cooler unit is easy to install through a 1-1/8″ diameter drilled hole or an electrical knockout and is held in place by a locking ring. We offer additional side mount kits for instances where coolers cannot be mounted on the top of the cabinet due to height restrictions.
It is important to close off any openings and vents that may bring in ambient air, especially in warm, hot, or highly humid environments. The relative humidity inside the enclosure stabilizes at 45% for all continuously operating Cabinet Coolers
Clean filtered air should be used on all lines that power the Cabinet Cooler. We recommend a 5 micron auto drain filter. Proper filtration is imperative to prevent any accidental water flow into the enclosure. If oil is present in the compressed air supply, use an oil filter with a minimum 0.3 micron rating.
NEMA 4/4X (IP56) – Designed for Electrical Control Panels – Splash resistant, oil-tight, and dust-proof for use in wash down environments as well as outdoor use. Coolers are constructed of Stainless Steel (Type 304) for longevity in wet environments.
NEMA 12 (IP52) – Cabinet Coolers (oil-tight, dust-proof) are used in industrial environments where no liquids can come into contact with the unit. Coolers are constructed of Stainless Steel (Type 304) to withstand harsh corrosive environments.
|Model No.||Capacity Btu/hr.||Capacity Watt/hr.||Air Consumption SCFM @ 80 PSI||Air Consumption SLPM @ 5.5 Bar||Sound Level (dB)|
*With Optional Cold Muffler installed
Cabinet Cooler FAQs
Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions relating to our Cabinet Coolers. If you need additional help with your application and/or can’t find an answer to your question, please call us at 1-289-236-2001 or email an Application Engineer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Can I use a Vortex Tube to cool my electrical enclosure instead of the Cabinet Cooler?
Yes, however, there are clear advantages to using the Supreme Air Products™ Cabinet Cooler for this application.
- Cabinet Coolers have a purge or pressure release valve to allow warm air from the electrical enclosure to escape the cabinet.
- Cabinet Coolers are designed to achieve ideal cooling capacity in closed spaces, as they have pre-determined temperature settings. Vortex Tubes are better suited for spot cooling in open spaces, as they allow the user to manually adjust temperatures. Since Vortex Tubes are adjustable, they can often over cool electrical components, which can result in damage.
- Unlike Vortex Tubes, Cabinet Coolers incorporate mufflers to reduce noise levels significantly.
- Cabinet Coolers have NEMA 4/4X and NEMA 12 ratings, whereas Vortex Tubes do not
2. How do I stop the solenoid valve from chattering?
A 0.002 microfarad capacitor can be wired across the leads on the thermostat to prevent it from chattering. This chattering can sometimes occur due to a very slow temperature change. The capacitor simply desensitizes the thermostat to stop the chattering effect. The capacitor is available FREE OF CHARGE at special request.
3. What are the cooling capacities (BTU/Hr.) of your Cabinet Coolers?
Supreme Air Products™ manufactures Cabinet Coolers with cooling capacities between 550-2,800 BTU/Hr. from a single unit. If you require additional cooling, we also offer dual cooler units ranging from 3,200-5,600 BTU/Hr.
4. How do I know which Cabinet Cooler I should use?
It’s very simple! Complete our Cabinet Cooler Sizing Form found under the “Specifications” tab and email it to us at email@example.com. A Supreme Air Products™ Application Engineer will reply to you within 24 hours with a recommendation. If you wish to determine the size requirements yourself, visit our “Information Center” tab where you will find all of the necessary instructions.
5. Can condensation occur within our control panels when using Supreme Air Products™ Cabinet Coolers?
No. The Supreme Air Products™ Cabinet Cooler will purge warm/moist air from inside the enclosure. The cool air that is being injected into the cabinet will then start to pick up heat, which in turn causes the humidity to drop. A continuously operating Cabinet Cooler will keep the relative humidity at approximately 45%. It is imperative that all openings in your control panel are closed off, as humidity from the ambient air could cause condensation within the panel.
6. Where should the Cabinet Cooler and Thermostat be installed?
The Supreme Air Products™ Cabinet Cooler must be installed at the top of the cabinet through a standard knockout hole and secured with a locking ring. If there is no room to mount the cooler at the top, we offer additional side mounts that allow for coolers to be mounted vertically on the side of the cabinet. A thermostat at the top of the cabinet is best (but not required), as this is the hottest spot due to the rising hot air. Our Cartridge Thermostat is mounted through a standard knockout hole and held in place by a locking ring.
7. What material are Cabinet Coolers constructed of?
All of our Cabinet Coolers are constructed of Stainless Steel (Type 304). We do not offer inferior aluminum or plastic coolers that can damage your cabinet. Our coolers are corrosion proof and durable.
8. What pressure is created inside the cabinet by the Cabinet Cooler?
The pressure within the cabinet can build up to approximately 2 PSIG, depending on how tightly sealed the cabinet is.
9. How does the exhaust air leave the cabinet?
All of our Cabinet Coolers incorporate their own air purge in the mounting base. The cold air enters the cabinet through the center brass tube, while the hot air within the cabinet is exhausted through the perimeter vent on the base of the cooler.
10. What is the air consumption of the Cabinet Cooler?
Each application will have a different heat load which will determine the air consumption of your cooler. Generally, you can expect consumption ranging from 8 to 80 SCFM @ 100 PSIG. This will provide cooling capacity of 550-5,600 BTU/Hr. If air consumption is a concern, a thermostat control kit should be incorporated to reduce air usage, as it will ensure that the cooler only operates at a pre-determined temperature.
11. Are Cabinet Coolers noisy?
Our coolers are intended for factory and industrial applications. Noise levels are dependant on the size of the Cabinet Cooler. We offer optional Cabinet Cooler mufflers for applications where noise is a concern. Please refer to our “Specifications” tab for a chart outlining sound levels for each model.
Cabinet Cooler Applications
Cool Electrical Panels
Cabinet Cooler Dimensions
Click below to download PDF drawings with dimensions of our Cabinet Coolers.